Thursday, December 21, 2006





How would your Christmas be?

City sidewalks
Busy sidewalks
Dressed in holiday style
In the air there's
A feeling of Christmas
Children laughing
People passing
Meeting smile after smile
And on every
Street corner you'll hear

Silver Bells, Silver Bells
It's Christmas time in the city
Ring-a-ling, hear them sing
Soon it will be Christmas Day

One of my favourite Christmas tunes. Could imagine how the silver bells ring in the snow and glitter in the white. Christmas is around the corner and I see shoppers everywhere, doing their last bit of shopping before Christmas arrives. It’s just so amazing to see people queuing in chocolate and candy shops, kind of reminded me the queues in Chinatown outside “Ling Zhi Yuan Bak Quah” shop during the Lunar New Year season. Ha.

Could still remember how I spent my last two Christmas. Two years back, I spent it with a friend. Went for a Christmas Eve service with my friend to his friend’s church and headed down to Boat Quay after that. It was a night of endless walking and undetermined destination. We walked as we talked until we passed by this beautiful alfresco drinking place besides Empress Place. I was enchanted by its beauty, its night lightings and a melodic female voice which is woven into the music of a string musical instrument. We stopped our endless walk and settle in Indochine. The talk continued till wee hours.

Last year’s Christmas was spent in South Korea with my group of Singaporean classmates. It was an unique experience because I finally have the opportunity to celebrate a White Christmas. South Korea is a snowing country and is very cold during the winter. Wrapped in our thick layers of clothing (in our gloves, scarves, coats), all of us went to “Myeongdong”, a shopping district that is popular among the youths. The streets were crowded. It was difficult to move and we could easily lose each other if we weren’t careful. There was a unofficial cake selling competition as different shops reduced the prices of the Christmas cakes on that night, so that their cakes could be sold out fast. Somehow, the Koreans do not eat log cakes. The cakes that were sold are the typical cakes that we buy for our birthdays here in Singapore.

My friends and I shared an ice cream cake from Baskin Robins and headed down to an archaic catholic cathedral within the district. It was a monumental building which evoked a deep sense of spirituality when I was sitting quietly in the cathedral. I could remember the images of people lighting candles outside the cathedral and the veiled women who were praying in the cathedral.

Yesterday, I was in bus 171, traveling towards Plaza Singapura to meet a friend for movie. The traffic was slowing moving and I was feasting my eyes with the Christmas lightings along Orchard Road. Took out my camera and managed to take a few shots while the bus was waiting for the traffic light to turn green. It was a beautiful sight.

Wondering how this year’s Christmas would be like. I guess spending it by myself is probably the best Christmas celebration. It’s time of the year to reflect and keep track of the blessings from my Heavenly Father who lovingly shower upon me, a wretched child. Amazing Grace indeed.

Have a blessed Christmas!
Christ Jesus is the reason for this season. =)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home